Thursday, December 17, 2009

WHOOSH! (the sound of the joke zipping overhead)

I don't know why it has taken me almost forty years to realize that a lot of times, people just don't get me.

Perhaps you saw my latest Facebook status update.

I almost ALWAYS give to the Salvation Army volunteers (unless they are at every store where I stop in a given day). I have thought about signing up with the kids. I think anyone who volunteers their time to stand outside a public place hoping that others will cough up a little money for the needy deserves recognition. But the bell.

"Ding-a-ding. Ding-a-ding."

I cut my teeth on Monty Python. I used to fall asleep in the years we lived with my aunt & uncle to the rare sound of my mother's laughter as she watched "Flying Circus" on PBS. But I need to remember that Holy Grail has (unfortunately) not been seen by everyone and therefore referencing the Salvation Army and the phrase "bring out your dead" in the same breath may be misconstrued in the holiday season.

I guess I know how Patri felt.

I still crack myself up, though.

1 comment:

rikerman said...

I thought it was hysterically funny but have not had the time to follow the thread on FB. What comments did you get?? They actually played that clip on NPR the other night!