We had a great time in Pawley's Island. Though it's our fourth trip (third in June) we still haven't exhausted the selection of things to do. That said, we managed another year without venturing north into Myrtle Beach and all the honkey tonk and tourist attractions. I'm sure that mini-golf on vacation is pretty much the same as mini-golf at home.
The weather was so great that we added another day to the trip. Our thinking was that it was cold and raining at home, and the dog was booked through Friday afternoon anyway, so we'd much rather be enjoying the 90+ degree sunny weather than being here.
Holly picked up with her boogie boarding right where she left off last summer. We had to buy her board shorts because she got too much sun on her patootie! Gillian's confidence in the water grew, especially as the first day was incredibly calm. I don't know if it's because we are with them more on vacation, or if it's the timing of going away right at the end of the school year, but they both seem to change and evolve so much when we are at the beach.
Our usual plan is get up and breakfast, then head to the beach. By midday we are usually ready for a break, and head home or out to lunch. Then maybe a little shopping or reading or relaxing, then to one of the pools mid-afternoon. Home for showers and dinner. It works for us. Last year on vacation I devoured books like a maniac. This year I struggled to finish a magazine. I think we were a little lazier this year, which is always a good thing on vacation!
The highlight of our trip was the few hours we spent on a 40 foot sailing yacht in Georgetown harbor with Captain Dave. Last year we had seen his boat when we took our "pirate adventure" and knew immediately that it was on our short list for 2009. Memory fails, so it was not until shortly before the trip that I happened onto his website and remembered we had seen him before. We went out one evening about 6 for the sunset. The girls had the chance to help with the sails, and also to steer the ship. I think they most enjoyed having the run of the decks, including at the bow of the ship while underway. We figured we could give up a dinner (or two) out to make the trip, and I am so glad we did. Much more memorable than a meal in a restaurant, especially for the girls. We'll definitely do it again next year.
Here are some pictures:


"Good-bye Captain Dave, see you next year!"
No comments:
Post a Comment