


Saturday we drove 10 minutes into Oldwick for our first trip apple picking at Melick's Town Farm. We have learned to try to do two or three smaller trips rather than one big load. That way we get our favorite kinds of apple as they ripen and we have them left for pies all the way through 'til Thanksgiving.
Our favorite early apples are the Empire and the Golden Delicious. The latter are so crisp they bear little resemblance to the mealy sweet things you find at the grocery store. And the girls think they are Granny Smith (which is their favorite). Later harvests bring the Grannies, and my favorite for pies, the Jonagold.
We have been picking apples at Melick's since before we moved out here; I was nine months pregnant with Gillian and desperately looking to distract myself from her refusal to arrive. On that first trip I said how much I would love to live out this way. Ward just laughed. And now here we are. Best move we ever made.
This gorgeous fall-like weather has me craving home-baked bread. I need to get some Kalamata olives to go into a boule with the rosemary before it's killed by frost.
Yesterday we went to the Somerset Patriots last home game of the regular season. They beat the Camden Riversharks 4-2. The girls and I got to run the bases after the game, and we wound up with free playoff tickets for next Saturday night. So if the Patriots win the Southern division we'll go; otherwise the playoff game will be played in Camden. It's great having minor league baseball just 20 minutes away.
No comments:
Post a Comment