After a busy day that started when we left here at 8:30 for the farm (thank you Lisa and Bob, magnificent as usual!) I concluded yesterday at a baking class at Kristine's Dessert Works in Randolph. I found out about her maybe three years ago. Not only one of the last bakeries in NJ (let alone a French patisserie) she has been written up a lot. Most recently for a 2008 visit from Pete Genovese and the Munchmobile. I'm partial to her cheesecake.
Ward gave me a gift certificate last year and I finally found a class that I liked that worked with my schedule. With just the four of us, a whole cake seems enormous, so to have some ideas and recipes for fabulous cupcakes is a joy. Between the ideas for fillings and the fancy, tasty toppings, I am raring to bring dessert somewhere!
The number one takeaway (well, other than the dozen cupcakes!) was Kristine's recipe for Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing. No powdered sugar here; just egg whites, sugar and butter. LOTS of butter. But this is the most amazing, light, not-too-sweet frosting I have ever tasted. Plus it takes just 10 minutes in the stand mixer, keeps for a week in the fridge and can be flavored with anything from chocolate to coffee to seedless fruit jelly.
I'll post the recipes and photos on FHG. But until then I leave you with my creations. As you can see, I had fun with the piping bags!

This is German Chocolate
Peanut Butter Mousse with Chocolate Fudge
Chocolate Cloud (meringue dipped in ganache!)
Boston Cream Pie
1 comment:
Those look great! You are so damned crafty!
Post a Comment