Thursday, April 2, 2009

Same thing, same place, same time

Gillian has decided to take a break from perfecting her back handspring. The gymnastics school moved from its oh-so-convenient location next to Holly's tae kwon do dojo, and she was placed in a nighttime advanced class that was, quite frankly, murder on our schedule, so it works out all right.

What I didn't foresee was when she wanted to take a trial class at TKD. After two years of gymnastics conditioning, G has great balance, flexibility and strength. So she's pretty good with her kicks. To the point that in that trial class, Master Sam let the kids break wood. And bam, that was the end of it.

After three more trial classes, she asked to join the program. We talked a lot about Holly, and how she will always be a higher belt, since she started six months prior. Gillian swore that was OK with her. So Wednesday, she got her uniform and white belt. I told her that we were making a minimum six-month committment, and she agreed.

This has simplified my life immeasurably. Never have I had both kids doing the same activity at the same time. The closest was basketball, which was two consecutive hours. So were as the last six months of gymnastics/TKD, which was at least convenient. This is an absolute treat!

I'll post pictures soon.

1 comment:

Ei said...

Our oldest is in Kempo Karate and loves it. Almost to orange belt and is still sticking with it. I am impressed!