Monday, October 20, 2008

My very own Cake Wreck

I really didn't intend this wreck. Really. But today I had to go to Dunkin' Donuts and pick up the #8 donuts. Then take them to school. Then stay and volunteer in the art room. Then head home to:

bake a cake
make 16 quarts of soup
ice the cake
locate and wrap Gillian's presents

(then back to school for 3:30 pickup, then TaeKwonDo, then gymnastics, then home, dinner, presents, then collapse. The kids can put themselves to bed!)

I like to keep the "dome" on the top layer of the cake, thinking it gives a nice homemade look. That was the least of my problems.

This Williams-Sonoma spiderweb cake was my inspiration:

I know that you are supposed to pipe the circles and then drag to do the lines. I tried that and the chocolate wouldn't drag. So I thought I could pipe them. This is how it came out.


This is the final product, after I wiped off the runny chocolate and re-iced. God bless the person who invented sprinkles.

UPDATE:

See...look! Four tasty layers! Chocolate and vanilla filling!


5 comments:

sweet p. said...

wow. i'm. yeah. speechless.

rikerman said...

Who cares - how did it taste???

Allison said...

Well, the nice surprise is that it was FOUR layers, with a secret vanilla core. Gillian thought that was pretty awesome. Tasty, too.

Anonymous said...

I forgot that Gillian and I share a birthday. Happy belated B-day, Gillian! Good salvage on the cake, mom :)

sweet p. said...

Maia and I are coming over - this is a week where we need some choco cake w/ a super secret vanilla core :-)