Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas indulgences from my kitchen

On Christmas Eve I made an amazing shrimp bisque (Cook's Nov/Dec 2000) that was, unbelievably, not too rich. Unfortunately in my attempt to photograph it, it looks like eggnog against the gold tablecloth. I made three quarts (sold two to a neighbor/customer) and we had four lovely mugs of it over the holiday.



My mother's popover (Yorkshire) recipe also made its annual holiday appearance. I made them twice, once for family on the 23rd. For the first time, I was too stingy with the oil, and they stuck in the pan and made a big mess. After redeeming myself on the 24th I had to clean the oven the next day. Vaporized vegetable oil really does a number.



When my MIL described her holiday desserts (all involving dried fruit this year) I was left a little flat. Since we don't always have dessert on the 24th, I felt justified in making Ina's easy chocolate ganache cake for Christmas Day. Since it's a glorified brownie, really, it's not like the super-fudgy Bete Noir that the Anthony family is known for. The kids and adults ate all but a small piece, making me glad it's one of my staples.


No comments: