But over the weekend we were with friends and they had the new flavored Michelob Ultra. Let me backtrack. When they came out with Ultra a few years ago at the height of the low-carb craze I was disgusted. "Why even bother drinking this watery, nowhere-near-beer," I thought. But people do.
Also, flavored anything turns my stomach. Yuck to flavored seltzer, flavored coffee, flavored water, any seasonal beer with fruit flavoring. Heck, I even toss the orange slice that they garnish a draught Blue Moon with. If I'm in a situation where the only beer is Corona, well, I'll have the lime. I think it helps to disguise the omnipresent skunky taste. But lime or no lime, I don't ever touch Corona Light.
Suffice it to say I'm a pretty tough customer for this kind of product. But yum! Even Ward couldn't say much about them, other than "Well, if you don't think of them as beer, they're pretty good!" There are three flavors, none of which is overly sweet, even the raspberry. I think I like the orange best, followed by the lime. I believe you get a full assortment in a 12-pack.
Suffice it to say I'm a pretty tough customer for this kind of product. But yum! Even Ward couldn't say much about them, other than "Well, if you don't think of them as beer, they're pretty good!" There are three flavors, none of which is overly sweet, even the raspberry. I think I like the orange best, followed by the lime. I believe you get a full assortment in a 12-pack.
(this is from the website)
Lime Cactus. A fruit-infused light pilsner with natural lime flavor and a floral essence derived from the cactus.
Pomegranate Raspberry. A pilsner with a berry aroma, raspberry flavor, and a hint of pomegranate.
Tuscan Orange Grapefruit. A pilsner with fresh juicy orange notes and a slight pink-grapefruit finish.
Pomegranate Raspberry. A pilsner with a berry aroma, raspberry flavor, and a hint of pomegranate.
Tuscan Orange Grapefruit. A pilsner with fresh juicy orange notes and a slight pink-grapefruit finish.
Three flavors perfect for an afternoon in the sun.
107 calories, 6.0g carbs, 0.5g protein and 0.0g fat, per 12 oz bottle

And 107 calories...you can have one of those in the afternoon after working in the yard. Heck, or two. The first cold one always goes down too quickly.
Also, if you really want to feel bad about your beer choices, or you're some sort of masochist...here's a list of domestic beers with alcohol content, carbs and calories (you can link to the imports too). We won't be taping THAT to the fridge at our house!
2 comments:
First, don't be a hater - I think you have to be born in the tropics to understand Coronas. AND Corona was originally a Puerto Rican brand. But then again I can't say much because I dont care for vodka or almost any liquor that comes from a freezing country. I think all those flavored beers are probably the reaction from the industry to try to get more women to drink beer instead of wine coolers or Smirnoff's or whatever they are called these days. I would rather sit around the beach with my canned Medalla, anyways.
Second, it's been a funny beer month around my 'hood here - one of my neighbors is heartbroken with American beer companies with the whole A-B / InBev thing. So we've been on this neverending conversation about what beer he's going to start drinking now that Bud is getting sold to the French (he doesn't understand the intricacies France v Belgium). It's certainly been fun taunting him and he has officially scratched out St Louis from places he'll visit because they are all communists there, of course.
Cheers!
I like Medalla. I also like Carib. Red Stripe is great. But Corona...nope. Ward's friend Jonathan (from Yauco) brought Gasolinas back to the States...man, those are scary. Booze in a Capri Sun pouch. Though he's the same guy who makes Sangria with 151, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Our paper did an inside-front-page article in a townie bar about all the people switching from Bud. My favortie was the guy who switched to Coors. When they told him that it was now owned by (Canadian) Molson his response was, literally, "Well, at least that's closer."
Post a Comment